First Metropolitan United Church in downtown Victoria is seeking an experienced Custodian to join its building maintenance team. The property currently consists of the church sanctuary building at Balmoral Rd. and Quadra St., the Christian Education wing and Fellowship Hall. The Custodian performs day-to-day custodial and security operations, routine and periodic maintenance activities and provides support services to the various groups using the church.
This is a 35-hour per week position reporting to the Building Supervisor. Shift times are a mix of evenings and days.
Evening shift: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 3 pm-10 pm (total: 21 hours)
Day shift: Thursday and Friday 8:30 am - 3:30 pm (Total: 14 hours)
Some extra hours and weekend work may be required occasionally, including vacation and sick leave coverage for Building Supervisor position.
Minimum salary for the position is $18.85/hour (with wage increase after 1 year) and benefits including: 3 weeks vacation, medical, dental and pension). A current police records check (Vulnerable Sector) must be provided by the applicant.
Please send resumes by 6 pm, June 19, 2020 to [email protected]. Email subject line should contain - “FMUC Custodian Application”.
Click here for a complete job description.
1. Roles and Responsibilities:
- Performs cleaning of the church and property; property maintenance (changing light bulbs, lawn cutting, garden watering and snow removal, etc)
- Procures and coordinates the provision of supplies
- Monitors and adjusts heating and ventilation systems and operates the building steam boiler
- Provides some building security
- Ensures knowledge and understanding of the current activities taking place on the church premises so that physical needs of users are met. This includes provision of set up and tear down of equipment and other related support services as requested
- Assists at weddings and funerals as assigned
- Trains, monitors and supervises 2-4 casual custodial staff
- Assumes roles and responsibilities of Building Supervisor during periods of leave or vacation
2. Position Requirements:
- Competency in skills related to custodial duties in maintaining the church to acceptable cleanliness and safety standards as established by the Building Supervisor.
- Possess the physical strength, stamina and dexterity to lift, carry, push or pull light to moderately heavy objects
- Ability to work outside in varied weather conditions
- Ability and knowledge of working with toxic or caustic chemicals
- Ability and willingness to learn skills required for the operation of building systems, including electrical, heating, ventilation and security
- Ability to supervise casual custodial staff
- English language proficiency and good interpersonal skills to be able to work cooperatively with broad spectrum of culturally diverse people, including professionals, volunteers, staff and building users
- Possess good ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to use a church computer to fill out forms, access and respond to emails and compose and distribute reports
- Flexibility to adjust to changes in work schedules.
Qualifications and Education:
- Completion of Building Services Worker Level 1 or Level 2 qualification. Persons with equivalent experience will be considered if they are prepared to complete the 2.5-day Building Services Level I course given at Camosun. Course will be paid for by church.
- Completion of WHMIS training (Certification). Successful applicant will be expected to have completed the most current WHMIS course available. This training is available on-line and will be paid for by the church.